Acceptable Use Policy
The Glinx/Tallships Acceptable Use Policy has been formulated with the following goals in
The Acceptable Use Policy below defines the actions which Glinx/
Tallships considers to be
abusive, and thus, strictly prohibited. The examples named in this list are
non-inclusive, and are provided solely for guidance to Glinx/
Tallships customers. If you
are unsure whether any contemplated use or action is permitted, please send mail to
firstname.lastname@example.org and we will assist you.
- Ensure security, reliability and privacy of Glinx/Tallships systems and network, and
the networks and systems of others
- Avoid situations that may cause Glinx/
Tallships to incur civil liability
- Maintain the image and reputation of Glinx/Tallships as a responsible provider
- Preserve the value of Internet resources as a conduit for free expression
- Encourage the responsible use of net resources, discouraging practices which
degrade the usability of network resources and thus the value of Internet services
- Preserve the privacy and security of individual users
Please note that the actions listed below are also not permitted from other Internet
Service Providers on behalf of, or to advertise, any service hosted by Glinx/
connected via the GLinx network. Furthermore, such services may not be advertised
via deceptive marketing policies.
- General Conduct
- Customers are prohibited from transmitting on or through any of Glinx/
services, any material that is, in Glinx/Tallships' sole discretion, unlawful, obscene,
threatening, abusive, libelous, or hateful, or encourages conduct that would
constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any
local, provincial, national or international law.
- Glinx/Tallships services may only be used for lawful purposes. Transmission,
distribution, or storage of any information, data or material in violation of Canadian
or provincial regulation or law, or by the common law, is prohibited. This includes,
but is not limited to, material protected by copyright, trademark, trade secret, or
any other statute. Glinx/Tallships reserves the right to remove such illegal material from
- The customer is responsible for keeping his billing data with Glinx/Tallships
up-to-date and accurate. Furnishing false data on the signup form, contract, or online
application, including fraudulent use of credit card numbers, is grounds for immediate
termination, and may subject the offender to civil or criminal liability.
- The resale of Glinx/Tallships products and services is not permitted, unless
specifically permitted and documented in a written agreement.
- System and Network Security
- Customers may not attempt to circumvent user authentication or security of any
host, network, or account ("cracking"). This includes, but is not limited to,
accessing data not intended for the Customer, logging into a server or account the
Customer is not expressly authorized to access, or probing the security of other
networks (such as running a SATAN scan or similar tool).
- Customers may not attempt to interfere with service to any user, host, or network
("denial of service attacks"). This includes, but is not limited to, "flooding" of
networks, deliberate attempts to overload a service, and attempts to "crash" a host.
- Customers may not use any kind of program/script/command, or send messages of any kind, designed to interfere with a user's terminal session, via any means, locally or by the Internet.
- Users who violate systems or network security may incur criminal or civil
liability. Glinx/Tallships will cooperate fully with investigations of violations of
systems or network security at other sites, including cooperating with law enforcement authorities in the investigation of suspected criminal violations.
EMail Abuse (MAPS)
Violations of the following Email Policies can and probably will get you
and/or your ISP added to our Blacklist, which will not allow any email from you and/or
your ISP to be sent through or to our systems.
Glinx/Tallships Internet uses Email Server software that rejects any and all email that
contains forged header (envelope) information and email from known Spammers and does
not allow forwarding of email through our systems. We also do not allow anonymous
sending of email using our systems.
Glinx/Tallships Internet also implements the Spamcop, "Not Just another Blacklist" and others on ALL of our
Email Servers, so if you get on the blacklists you will be banned from our systems also. You
can find more information on the blacklist at
http://spamcop.net/ and njabl.org.
All requests for removal from the Glinx/Tallships Internet Email Server Blacklist must be
made by phone to (902) 365-3044.
- Harassment, whether through language, frequency, or size of messages, is
- Customers may not send email to any person who does not wish to receive it. If a
recipient asks to stop receiving email, the customer must not send that person any
- Customers are explicitly prohibited from sending unsolicited bulk mail messages
("junk mail" or "spam"). This includes, but is not limited to, bulk-mailing of
commercial advertising, informational announcements, and political tracts. Such
material may only be sent to those who have explicitly requested it.
- Customers may not forward or otherwise propagate chain letters, whether or not the recipient wishes to receive such mailings.
- Malicious email, including but not limited to "mailbombing" (flooding a
user or site with very large or numerous pieces of email), is prohibited.
- Forging of header information is not permitted.
- Glinx/Tallships accounts or services may not be used to collect replies to
messages sent from another Internet Service Provider, where those messages violate
this Acceptable Use Policy or the Acceptable Use Policy of that other provider.
- These rules apply to other types of Internet-based distribution mediums as well, such as RLG's Ariel system (a system for sending FAX-like documents over the
Internet). USENET postings have their own regulations; see below.
- Glinx/Tallships provides an uncensored newsfeed. As such, Glinx/Tallships does not
control the content of the newsgroups available to its customers. Glinx/Tallships is not
responsible for the content of any USENET posting, whether or not the posting was made
by a Glinx/Tallships customer.
- Postings to USENET newsgroups must comply with the written charters or FAQs for
those newsgroups. Advertisements should only be posted in those newsgroups whose
charters/FAQs explicitly permit them. The poster is responsible for determining the
etiquette of a given newsgroup, prior to posting to it.
- Customers are prohibited from posting the same or similar message to large
numbers of newsgroups (excessive cross-posting or multiple-posting, also known as
- Customers are prohibited from posting chain letters of any type.
- Customers are prohibited from posting binary files to newsgroups not specifically
named for that purpose.
- Customers are prohibited from cancelling or superseding posts other than their own, with the exception of official newsgroup moderators performing their duties.
- Customers are prohibited from forging header information. This includes
attempting to circumvent the approval process for posting to a moderated newsgroup.
- A customer may not solicit mail for any other address other than that of the
customer's Glinx/Tallships account or service, with the intent to harass or collect
replies after Glinx/Tallships service has been terminated.
- IRC (Internet Relay Chat)
- Glinx/Tallships is not liable for the content of any communications made on IRC.
The Glinx/Tallships IRC service is a free, value-added service for Glinx/Tallships customers,
and the terms of its operation may change at any time. Glinx/Tallships reserves the right
to ban from its IRC server any user whose conduct is, in Glinx/Tallships' sole judgement,
- Customers may not attempt to impersonate others or use IRC anonymously by
disguising their hostname or username.
- Customers are prohibited from using IRC scripts or programs that
interfere with or deny service to other users on any server or host. Customers are
also prohibited from engaging in activities which harass other users. This includes,
but is not limited to, "flooding" (rapidly entering text with the intent to fill the
screens of others), "flashing" (disrupting terminal emulation), "takeovers" (forcibly
seizing operator privileges), attempting to send private messages to those who do not
wish to see them (via "ignore"), attempting to return to a channel after being banned
from it, and other disruptive behaviors.
- Dialup Accounts
- Glinx/Tallships dialup accounts are intended for use by an individual. Multiple
logins are prohibited on single user accounts, such as the Single User Unlimited account.
- Glinx/Tallships accounts are allocated free Personal Webspace under
http://www.glinx.com/~username, http://home.tallships.ca/username or
similar web address and are intended for personal use only. Users must not exceed
the assigned disk quota, based on the account package selected. Webspace reported to
be in violation of any portion of the Acceptable Use Policy shall be removed. Any
account's webspace exceeding 10,000 hits per month may result in additional charges.
- Password security is the responsibility of the individual user. Good passwords
should be a minimum of six characters long, contain at least one number or symbol, and
are not based on any dictionary word or common name. Customers may not share passwords
or accounts with others.
Questions about this policy should be sent to
Reports of activity in violation of this policy may be sent to